Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

Zucchini Pie

If you purchase your milk in glass bottles, make sure you don't put it in front of the beer in the garage fridge to save room in the house. It just might get accidentally knocked onto the garage floor and break and go everywhere. And then you won't have any milk for the crustless zucchini pie you planned on baking the next day. Of course, this is where evaporated milk comes in handy.

Not that this happened to me, or anything.

At any rate, Google is my friend in situations like not having any milk. Pillsbury has a nice page on emergency baking substitutions on their website, I had a can of evaporated milk in the cupboard, and all was back on track in a jiffy. I can't say I am in desperation to use an ample supply of zucchini or anything, but I stumbled across this lovely sounding crustless recipe the other day while on Pinterest and decided it was a necessary recipe. Cheese, shallots, chives? I'm so in. I could have easily made a pie that didn't even have zucchini in it. But I digress.

Given that I was already making the milk substitution, I couldn't help but change up a few other things as well. Besides, there wasn't nearly enough cheese in the recipe. Or chives, for that matter. So here is my version.


Crustless Zucchini Pie


Ingredients:
  • 10 oz shredded zucchini, all liquid squeezed out (about one medium zucchini; I used a cheesecloth to squeeze the liquid out) 
  • 1/2 cup shallots, chopped 
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped 
  • 2/3 cup whole milk mozzarella 
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 2/3 cup whole milk 
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 2 large eggs, beaten 
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt 
  • black pepper to taste 
  • cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray) 
  • 2 heaping tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (or more, even; definitely more) 










Directions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a pie dish with cooking spray. Combine zucchini, shallots, chives, and mozzarella in a bowl. Sift flour and baking powder in a separate medium bowl; add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix till well blended. Pour batter over the zucchini mixture, combine well, and pour into pie dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 30-35 minutes until knife/toothpick comes out clean in the center.











It's a seriously delicious pie and also ripe for added flavors. I'm already considering what other spices or herbs I can add when I make it again. Obviously. Because I can't leave a recipe alone. Also zucchini doesn't look like a word anymore.


Peace out,
Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment